Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's a little bit nippy this morning!

I woke up this morning with my ac blowing full blast and the room colder than an igloo. I wasn’t aware I woke up this morning with my ac blowing full blast and the room of the cool front that came in last night.  I love the cool weather of fall but it’s not always a good thing. If you have a freeze to early on a wheat crop you just planted it can be painful for the pocket book and will put you out of pasture for the winter, that pasture I’m talking about is the ground you put your cattle on when the other local grasses go dormant and don’t have the nutrition the cattle need to produce a lot of milk for the calves and the energy they need to stay warm.

[1]
Now doesn’t this grass look a whole lot better than this?

[2]
Wheat is one of the most popular winter crops for just about anywhere.  The nutrition stays high during the harsh winter months and when wheat goes dormant your love grass and other grasses are ready to be grazed. All of my life this grazing cycle has been a part of our ranch operations and has been very successful. I don’t ever remember our wheat freezing out to early and we not having a bad winter thank the Lord. I know that if we were to have an early freeze and our winter grounds went to pot we might have to consider selling our calf crop of even our heard because we couldn’t make it through the winter.  Many people have gotten mad at the way we do things because they think you will work enough when your grown but they have no clue of the responsibilities that come with owning and living on a ranch. That is the lively hood of our ranch so whatever needs to be done for the ranch takes priority over whatever is going on at the time. If I were to put off doing a certain job like checking water in the winter and it gets froze over the herd could die within a day from not getting a drink. Water in the winter is just as important as having feed for the cattle.  Cattle drink water and it helps keep them from freezing to death.  The winter is coming so I’ve got a list of everyday chores that must be done in order to keep things rolling in our ranch operation. Check your calendars and know when you should be preparing for winter.
[3]
Sources-
1)      Pennstate, . (Photographer). (2004). Winterwheat. [Web]. Retrieved from http://fcn.agronomy.psu.edu/2004/FCN0409.html
2)      B. E. DAHL and P. F. COTTER, . (Photographer). (2010). dormant lovegrass. [Web]. Retrieved from www.rw.ttu.edu/../images/mnote_5/photo_9.jpg
3)      Calender. (2010). [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.mpscdrc.nic.in/calender.htm

5 comments:

  1. A few grammar errors. Wish I enjoyed crops and stuff more so this would be interesting but it did have some good information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an interesting post. I saw a couple of grammatical errors. And I even learned a few new things. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's nice, Just not my kind of subject, you know? keep it up though stranger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good blog! although I am not into the farming thing, it attracts my interest! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. And like everyone else who's posted, this is honestly just something I'm not in to, but this is still full on information none the less.

    ReplyDelete